How To Select A Roofing Contractor For Your Protection
As you begin your research for a roofing contractor, there are several important factors to keep in mind. We want you to be properly prepared and educated before you start. We know that the more you know, the more likely you are to choose RGP for your roof replacement project. Read our About Us page for more background on RGP Restoration, Construction & Roofing Group.
RGP believes that when you are replacing something as significant as your roof, that you should check on the company’s reputation, stability and workmanship. When you choose a contractor to replace your roof – follow these guidelines to ensure you’ve picked a contractor who will do the job properly:
1. General Liability Insurance Certificate – Not “Self-Insured”: You need to know if your contractor carries general liability insurance for both commercial and residential projects. A sizable contractor will carry no less than $500,000. Over three-fourths of roofing companies do not carry proper insurance coverage to protect you against losses. RGP Carries $2,000,000 in General Liability Insurance.
2. Arbitration Statement In Contract: Ask to see the arbitration statement in your contract. If complaints arise, the roofer agrees to settle disputes through binding arbitration. Without this agreement, you have no recourse.
3. Current References: All reputable roofers carry pre-printed lists of references…that includes customers from 1 to 5 years ago, as well as customers from the previous month. Also, ask for suppliers, business references, etc.
4. Association Certificates of Good Standing: Belonging to trade associations implies some quality and ethical integrity on the part of the contractor. Associations like the National Roofing Contractor Association as well as the Better Business Bureau are often referenced.
5. Use Only Major Roofing Manufacturer’s Certified and Authorized companies, like RGP Roofing, to install your roof system.
6. Quality Inspection Checklist and Walk through – Ask to review their Inspection Checklist. RGP has a 17 point checklist which includes interior and exterior inspection.